Finding Common Statistics
Total Establishments in an Area
- Use the latest County Business Patterns tables for the total number of establishments for employers.
- Use the latest Nonemployer Statistics tables for the total number of establishments for nonemployers.
- Remember, not all industry sectors are tabulated at every level of geography, so adding the sectors shown may not be a true total.
Total Sales of an Industry in an Area
Average Sales Per Capita for an Industry in an Area
- Use the latest EWKS table and population estimates data available in American FactFinder. Be sure to use data from the same reference year.
Number of Establishments Over a Time Period
Number of Employees in Small Businesses
- Use relevant "size" tables. These include establishment-size, employment-size, sales-size tables.
- Note: The Census Bureau does not define "small" because it varies by industry and by use. Data users must define "small."
Distribution of Sales by Product Lines in an Industry
Source: U.S. Census Bureau | Economic Planning and Coordination Division | 1-877-790-1876 | Last Revised: June 15, 2015