2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in developing the mine site, mining, and/or milling or otherwise beneficiating (i.e., preparing) nonmetallic minerals (except coal, stone, sand, gravel, clay, ceramic, and refractory minerals).
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Mining or quarrying dimension stone--are classified in Industry 21231, Stone Mining and Quarrying;
- Mining or quarrying sand, gravel, clay and ceramic and refractory minerals--are classified in Industry 21232, Sand, Gravel, Clay, and Ceramic and Refractory Minerals Mining and Quarrying;
- Calcining, dead burning, or otherwise processing (i.e., beyond basic preparation) minerals, such as talc, mica, feldspar, barite, and soapstone--are classified in Industry 32799, All Other Nonmetallic Mineral Product Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing boron compounds and potassium salts--are classified in Industry 32518, Other Basic Inorganic Chemical Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing table salt--are classified in Industry 31194, Seasoning and Dressing Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing salt (except table salt)--are classified in Industry 32599, All Other Chemical Product and Preparation Manufacturing; and
- Manufacturing phosphoric acid, superphosphates, or other phosphatic fertilizer materials--are classified in Industry 32531, Fertilizer Manufacturing.