2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing canned, pickled, and dried fruits, vegetables, and specialty foods. Establishments in this industry may package the dried or dehydrated ingredients they make with other purchased ingredients. Examples of products made by these establishments are canned juices; canned baby foods; canned soups (except seafood); canned dry beans; canned tomato-based sauces, such as catsup, salsa, chili, spaghetti, barbeque, and tomato paste, pickles, relishes, jams and jellies, dried soup mixes and bullions, and sauerkraut.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Manufacturing canned dairy products--are classified in Industry 31151, Dairy Product (except Frozen) Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing canned seafood soups and seafood products--are classified in Industry 31171, Seafood Product Preparation and Packaging;
- Manufacturing canned meat products--are classified in Industry 31161, Animal Slaughtering and Processing;
- Milling rice and packaging it with other ingredients or manufacturing vegetable flours and meals--are classified in Industry 31121, Flour Milling and Malt Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing dry pasta and packaging it with other ingredients--are classified in Industry 31182, Cookie, Cracker, and Pasta Manufacturing;
- Mixing purchased dried and/or dehydrated potatoes, rice, and pasta and packaging them with other purchased ingredients; mixing purchased dried and/or dehydrated ingredients for soup mixes and bouillon; and manufacturing canned puddings--are classified in Industry 31199, All Other Food Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing dry salad dressing and dry sauce mixes--are classified in Industry 31194, Seasoning and Dressing Manufacturing; and
- Manufacturing canned fruit and vegetable drinks, cocktails, and ades--are classified in Industry 31211, Soft Drink and Ice Manufacturing.