2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in one or more of the following: (1) slaughtering animals; (2) preparing processed meats and meat byproducts; and (3) rendering and/or refining animal fat, bones, and meat scraps. This industry includes establishments primarily engaged in assembly cutting and packing of meats (i.e., boxed meats) from purchased carcasses.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Manufacturing canned meat for baby food--are classified in Industry 31142, Fruit and Vegetable Canning, Pickling, and Drying;
- Manufacturing meat-based animal feeds from carcasses--are classified in Industry 31111, Animal Food Manufacturing;
- Blending purchased animal fats with vegetable fats--are classified in Industry 31122, Starch and Vegetable Fats and Oils Manufacturing;
- Manufacturing canned and frozen specialty foods containing meat, such as nationality foods (e.g., enchiladas, pizza, egg rolls) and frozen dinners--are classified in Industry Group 3114, Fruit and Vegetable Preserving and Specialty Food Manufacturing;
- Drying, freezing, or breaking eggs--are classified in Industry 31199, All Other Food Manufacturing; and
- Cutting meat (except boxed meat)--are classified in Industry 42447, Meat and Meat Product Merchant Wholesalers.