2007 NAICS Definition
This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing steel investment castings. Investment molds are formed by covering a wax shape with a refractory slurry. After the refractory slurry hardens, the wax is melted, leaving a seamless mold. Investment molds provide highly detailed, consistent castings. Establishments in this industry purchase steel made in other establishments.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Manufacturing steel castings (except steel investment castings)--are classified in U.S. Industry 331513, Steel Foundries (except Investment); and
- Manufacturing steel investment castings and further manufacturing them into finished products--are classified based on the specific finished product.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Foundries, steel investment
- Investment castings, steel, unfinished, manufacturing
- Steel investment castings, unfinished, manufacturing
- Steel investment foundries