2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments generally known as supermarkets and grocery stores primarily engaged in retailing a general line of food, such as canned and frozen foods; fresh fruits and vegetables; and fresh and prepared meats, fish, and poultry. Included in this industry are delicatessen-type establishments primarily engaged in retailing a general line of food.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Retailing automotive fuels in combination with a convenience store or food mart--are classified in Industry 447110, Gasoline Stations with Convenience Stores;
- Retailing a limited line of goods, known as convenience stores or food marts (except those with fuel pumps)--are classified in Industry 445120, Convenience Stores;
- Retailing frozen food and freezer plans via direct sales to residential customers--are classified in Industry 454390, Other Direct Selling Establishments;
- Providing food services in delicatessen-type establishments--are classified in U.S. Industry 722211, Limited-Service Restaurants; and
- Retailing fresh meat in delicatessen-type establishments--are classified in Industry 445210, Meat Markets.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Commissaries, primarily groceries
- Delicatessens primarily retailing a range of grocery items and meats
- Food (i.e., groceries) stores
- Grocery stores