2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing a general line of new women's, misses' and juniors' clothing, including maternity wear. These establishments may provide basic alterations, such as hemming, taking in or letting out seams, or lengthening or shortening sleeves.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Retailing women's clothing via electronic home shopping, mail-order, or direct sale--are classified in Subsector 454, Nonstore Retailers;
- Retailing custom women's clothing made on premises--are classified in Industry Group 3152, Cut and Sew Apparel Manufacturing;
- Retailing new women's accessories--are classified in Industry 448150, Clothing Accessories Stores;
- Retailing new clothing for all genders and age groups--are classified in Industry 448140, Family Clothing Stores;
- Retailing specialized new apparel, such as bridal gowns, raincoats, leather coats, fur apparel, and swimwear--are classified in Industry 448190, Other Clothing Stores;
- Retailing secondhand clothes--are classified in Industry 453310, Used Merchandise Stores; and
- Providing clothing alterations and repair--are classified in Industry 811490, Other Personal and Household Goods Repair and Maintenance.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Apparel stores, women's and girls' clothing
- Clothing stores, women's and girls'
- Maternity shops