2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing a general line of new clothing for men, women, and children, without specializing in sales for an individual gender or age group. These establishments may provide basic alterations, such as hemming, taking in or letting out seams, or lengthening or shortening sleeves.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Retailing clothing for all genders via electronic home shopping, mail-order, or direct sale--are classified in Subsector 454, Nonstore Retailers;
- Retailing new men's and boys' clothing--are classified in Industry 448110, Men's Clothing Stores;
- Retailing new women's, misses', and juniors' clothing--are classified in Industry 448120, Women's Clothing Stores;
- Retailing new children's and infants' clothing--are classified in Industry 448130, Children's and Infants' Clothing Stores;
- Retailing specialized new apparel, such as raincoats, bridal gowns, leather coats, fur apparel, and swimwear--are classified in Industry 448190, Other Clothing Stores;
- Providing clothing alterations and repair--are classified in Industry 811490, Other Personal and Household Goods Repair and Maintenance; and
- Retailing secondhand clothes--are classified in Industry 453310, Used Merchandise Stores.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Clothing stores, family
- Family clothing stores
- Unisex clothing stores
- Western wear stores