2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in retailing specialized lines of merchandise (except motor vehicle and parts dealers; furniture and home furnishings stores; electronics and appliance stores; building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers; food and beverage stores; health and personal care stores; gasoline stations; clothing and clothing accessories stores; sporting goods, hobby, book, and music stores; general merchandise stores; florists; office supplies, stationery and gift stores; used merchandise stores; pet and pet supplies; art dealers; and manufactured home (i.e., mobile home) dealers). This industry also includes establishments primarily engaged in retailing a general line of new and used merchandise on an auction basis (except electronic auctions).
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Retailing merchandise via electronic home shopping, mail-order, or direct sale--are classified in Subsector 454, Nonstore Retailers;
- Auctioning on the location of others as independent auctioneers--are classified in Industry 56199, All Other Support Services;
- Retailing pets and pet supplies--are classified in Industry 45391, Pet and Pet Supplies Stores;
- Retailing original and limited edition art works--are classified in Industry 45392, Art Dealers;
- Retailing manufactured homes (i.e., mobile homes)--are classified in Industry 45393, Manufactured (Mobile) Home Dealers;
- Retailing new books--are classified in Industry 45121, Book Stores and News Dealers;
- Retailing new jewelry (except costume jewelry)--are classified in Industry 44831, Jewelry Stores;
- Retailing new costume jewelry--are classified in Industry 44815, Clothing Accessories Stores;
- Operating pawnshops-are classified in Industry 52229, Other Nondepository Credit Intermediation; and
- Retailing used merchandise (except automobiles, RVs, mobile homes, motorcycles, boats, motor vehicle parts, tires, aircraft, snowmobiles, and utility trailers)--are classified in Industry 45331, Used Merchandise Stores.