2007 NAICS Definition
This U.S. Industry comprises establishments engaged in providing sites for and facilitating
consumer-to-consumer or business-to-consumer trade in new and used goods, on an auction basis, using the Internet. Establishments in this industry provide the electronic location for retail auctions, but do not take title to the goods being sold.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Retailing a general line of new and used merchandise on an auction basis from physical auction sites--are classified in U.S. Industry 453998, All Other Miscellaneous Store Retailers (except Tobacco Stores);
- Facilitating business to business sales of new and used merchandise on an auction basis using the Internet--are classified in Industry 425110, Business to Business Electronic Markets; and
- A combination of Internet auction and auction house sales in the same establishment--are classified in Sector 44-45, Retail Trade, based on the classification of the auction house portion of the activity.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Auctions, Internet retail
- Electronic auctions, retail
- Internet auctions, retail