2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing local messenger and delivery services of small items within a single metropolitan area or within an urban center. These establishments generally provide point-to-point pickup and delivery and do not operate as part of an intercity courier network.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Providing local letter and parcel delivery services as part of an intercity courier network--are classified in Industry 492110, Couriers and Express Delivery Services;
- Operating the National Postal Service or providing postal services on a contract basis (except the bulk transportation of mail)--are classified in Industry 491110, Postal Service; and
- Providing the bulk transportation of mail on a contract basis to and from Postal Service establishments--are classified in Industry Group 4841, General Freight Trucking.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Alcoholic beverage delivery service
- Bicycle courier
- Delivery service (except as part of intercity carrier network, U.S. Postal Service)
- Grocery delivery services (i.e., independent service from grocery store)
- Local letter and parcel delivery services (except as part of intercity carrier network, U.S. Postal Service)
- Messenger service
- Restaurant meals delivery services (i.e., independent delivery services)