2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in releasing, promoting, and distributing sound recordings. These establishments manufacture or arrange for the manufacture of recordings, such as audio tapes/cassettes and compact discs, and promote and distribute these products to wholesalers, retailers, or directly to the public. Establishments in this industry produce master recordings themselves, or obtain reproduction and distribution rights to master recordings produced by record production companies or other integrated record companies.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Contracting with musical artists, arranging for the production of master recordings, and marketing the reproduction rights--are classified in Industry 512210, Record Production;
- Providing facilities and technical expertise for recording musical performances--are classified in Industry 512240, Sound Recording Studios;
- Mass duplication of recorded products--are classified in U.S. Industry 334612, Prerecorded Compact Disc (except Software), Tape, and Record Reproducing;
- Merchant wholesale distribution of prerecorded audio cassettes, tapes, and discs--are classified in Industry 423990, Other Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers; and
- Retailing records, tapes, and compact discs without producing recordings--are classified in Sector 44-45, Retail Trade.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Integrated record companies (i.e., releasing, promoting, distributing)
- Integrated record production and distribution
- Musical recording, releasing, promoting, and distributing
- Prerecorded audio tapes and compact discs integrated manufacture, release, and distribution
- Record releasing, promoting, and distributing combined with mass duplication
- Sound recording, integrated production, reproduction, release, and distribution
- Sound recording, releasing, promoting, and distributing