This U.S. industry comprises establishments known as web search portals. Establishments in this industry operate web sites that use a search engine to generate and maintain extensive databases of Internet addresses and content in an easily searchable format. Web search portals often provide additional Internet services, such as e-mail, connections to other web sites, auctions, news, and other limited content, and serve as a home base for Internet users.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Publishing or broadcasting exclusively on the Internet--are classified in Industry 516110, Internet Publishing and Broadcasting
- Providing Internet access, known as Internet Service Providers--are classified in U.S. Industry 518111, Internet Service Providers;
- Wholesaling goods on the Internet--are classified in Sector 42, Wholesale Trade;
- Retailing goods on the Internet--are classified in Sector 44-45, Retail Trade; and
- Operating stock brokerages, travel reservation systems, purchasing services, and similar activities using the Internet rather than traditional methods--are classified with the more traditional establishments providing these services.