2007 NAICS Definition
This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in initially underwriting (i.e., assuming the risk and assigning premiums) health and medical insurance policies. Group hospitalization plans and HMO establishments (except those providing health care services) that provide health and medical insurance policies without providing health care services are included in this industry.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- HMO establishments that provide both health care services and underwrite health and medical insurance are classified in U.S. Industry 621491, HMO Medical Centers;
- Establishments primarily engaged in reinsuring health insurance policies are classified in Industry 524130, Reinsurance Carriers; and
- Legal entities (i.e., funds, plans, and/or programs) organized to provide health- and welfare-related employee benefits exclusively for the sponsor's employees or members are classified in Industry 525120, Health and Welfare Funds.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Dental insurance carriers, direct
- Group hospitalization plans without providing health care services
- Health insurance carriers, direct
- Hospital and medical service plans, direct, without providing health care services
- Hospitalization insurance carriers, direct, without providing health care services
- Insurance carriers, health, direct
- Insurance underwriting, health and medical, direct
- Medical insurance carriers, direct
- Medical service plans without providing health care services