2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in waste management services (except waste collection, waste treatment and disposal, remediation, operation of materials recovery facilities, and waste management consulting services).
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Collecting and/or hauling waste within a local area--are classified in Industry 56211, Waste Collection;
- Long-distance trucking of waste--are classified in Industry 48423, Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Long-Distance;
- Operating treatment or disposal facilities (except sewer systems or sewage treatment facilities) for waste--are classified in Industry 56221, Waste Treatment and Disposal;
- Collecting, treating, and disposing waste through sewer systems or sewage treatment facilities--are classified in Industry 22132, Sewage Treatment Facilities;
- Remediation and cleanup of contaminated buildings, mine sites, soil, or ground water--are classified in Industry 56291, Remediation Services;
- Operating facilities for separating and sorting recyclable materials from nonhazardous waste streams (i.e., garbage) or where commingled recyclable materials, such as paper, plastics, and metal cans are sorted into distinct categories--are classified in Industry 56292, Materials Recovery Facilities;
- Installing septic tanks--are classified in Industry 23891, Site Preparation Contractors; and
- Providing waste management consulting services, such as developing remedial action plans--are classified in Industry 54162, Environmental Consulting Services.