This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in providing waste management services (except waste collection, waste treatment and disposal, remediation, operation of materials recovery facilities, septic tank pumping and related services, and waste management consulting services).
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Collecting and/or hauling waste within a local area--are classified in Industry 56211, Waste Collection;
- Long-distance trucking of waste--are classified in Industry 484230, Specialized Freight (except Used Goods) Trucking, Long-Distance;
- Operating treatment or disposal facilities (except sewer systems or sewage treatment facilities) for waste--are classified in Industry 56221, Waste Treatment and Disposal;
- Collecting, treating, and disposing waste through sewer systems or sewage treatment facilities--are classified in Industry 221320, Sewage Treatment Facilities;
- The remediation and cleanup of contaminated buildings, mine sites, soil, or ground water--are classified in Industry 562910, Remediation Services;
- Operating facilities for separating and sorting recyclable materials from nonhazardous waste streams (i.e., garbage) or for sorting commingled recyclable materials, such as paper, plastics, and metal cans, into distinct categories--are classified in Industry 562920, Materials Recovery Facilities;
- Pumping (i.e., cleaning) cesspools, portable toilets, and septic tanks or renting portable toilets--are classified in U.S. Industry 562991, Septic Tank and Related Services; and
- Providing waste management consulting services, such as developing remedial action plans,--are classified in Industry 541620, Environmental Consulting Services.