2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments of health practitioners having the degree of O.D. (Doctor of Optometry) primarily engaged in the independent practice of optometry. These practitioners examine, diagnose, treat, and manage diseases and disorders of the visual system, the eye and associated structures as well as diagnose related systemic conditions. Offices of optometrists prescribe and/or provide eyeglasses, contact lenses, low vision aids, and vision therapy. They operate private or group practices in their own offices (e.g., centers, clinics) or in the facilities of others, such as hospitals or HMO medical centers, and may also provide the same services as opticians, such as selling and fitting prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Offices of opticians primarily engaged in selling and fitting prescription eyeglasses and contact lenses are classified in Industry 446130, Optical Goods Stores; and
- Offices of physicians primarily engaged in the independent practice of ophthalmology are classified in U.S. Industry 621111, Offices of Physicians (except Mental Health Specialists).
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Doctors of optometry (ODs) offices (e.g., centers, clinics)
- ODs' (doctors of optometry) offices (e.g., centers, clinics)
- Optometrists' offices (e.g., centers, clinics)