2007 NAICS Definition
This industry comprises establishments known as bars, taverns, nightclubs, or drinking places primarily engaged in preparing and serving alcoholic beverages for immediate consumption. These establishments may also provide limited food services.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Preparing and serving alcoholic beverages (i.e., not known as bars or taverns) and providing food services to patrons who order and are served while seated and pay after eating--are classified in Industry 722110, Full-Service Restaurants;
- Preparing and serving alcoholic beverages (i.e., not known as bars or taverns) and providing food services to patrons who generally order or select items and pay before eating--are classified in Industry 72221, Limited-Service Eating Places;
- Operating a civic or social association with a bar for the association members--are classified in Industry 81341, Civic and Social Organizations;
- Retailing packaged alcoholic beverages not for immediate consumption on the premises--are classified in Industry 445310, Beer, Wine, and Liquor Stores; and
- Operating discotheques or dance clubs without selling alcoholic beverages--are classified in Industry 713990, All Other Amusement and Recreation Industries.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Alcoholic beverage drinking places
- Bars (i.e., drinking places), alcoholic beverage
- Cocktail lounges
- Drinking places (i.e., bars, lounges, taverns), alcoholic
- Lounges, cocktail
- Nightclubs, alcoholic beverage
- Taverns (i.e., drinking places)