2007 NAICS Definition
This U.S. industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in promoting causes associated with human rights either for a broad or specific constituency. Establishments in this industry address issues, such as protecting and promoting the broad constitutional rights and civil liberties of individuals and those suffering from neglect, abuse, or exploitation; promoting the interests of specific groups, such as children, women, senior citizens, or persons with disabilities; improving relations between racial, ethnic, and cultural groups; and promoting voter education and registration. These organizations may solicit contributions and offer memberships to support these causes.
Cross-References. Establishments primarily engaged in--
- Promoting the interests of organized labor and union employees--are classified in Industry 813930, Labor Unions and Similar Labor Organizations; and
- Providing legal services for human rights organizations--are classified in Industry Group 5411, Legal Services.
Index entries that bring you to this industry:
- Associations for retired persons, advocacy
- Civil liberties organizations
- Developmentally disabled advocacy organizations
- Human rights advocacy organizations
- Mentally retarded advocacy groups
- Senior citizens advocacy organizations
- Veterans' rights organizations