LandView® Data and Map Files on a User's Hard Drive or Laptop
If adequate free space is available on a user's hard drive or laptop, the LandView data files and the MARPLOT map files contained on the LandView CD/DVD release can be installed on the local drive. This eliminates the need to have the CD/DVD available and installed on each use of the program. Installation is as follows:
- With the CD/DVD installed in an available drive, make a normal installation of LandView to its default location at c:\lv5.
- The CD/DVD contains a directory called LV5. 'Copy and Paste' the contents of this directory into c:\lv5.
Cautionary note: For versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, files 'copied and pasted' from a CD/DVD are copied as 'Read?only'. Windows XP automatically removes the read-only attribute when dragging the file or copying-pasting. XP-users are cautioned to reset the Read-only attribute. In normal usage, it is intended that LandView files be addressed as Read-only.
- Copy and Paste the Maps directory to root level of the c:\ drive.
- Create a new sub-directory in c:\lv5 called CDMAPS. From the CD/DVD, copy the marplot.vnx file to CDMAPS. As a Copy and Paste file, this file is, normally, Read-Only. First, change this attribute; use Right Mouse/Properties. The file can be opened for editing using NotePad or WordPad. The first line of type, "LV5", needs to be changed to "C:". It is important that this be installed as upper case. On 'Save and Close', rename the file as marplot.txt.
- Start LandView from the Desktop icon. Note: The CD/DVD should be removed prior to starting LandView so that LandView sees only one data and map set.
Back to Table of Contents
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Last Revised: Thursday, 26-Jan-2012 15:38:32 EST