LAN Installation of LandView® by User
If a LandView user has Read-Write privileges to a sub-directory on a LAN server of sufficient capacity, it is possible to create, there, a new sub-directory entitled, LV5, and to use this directory as a container for the LandView data and map files. This one time installation allows all LAN users, who can 'Map' to this directory as an available LAN drive, to access these files. The original installer, in essence, assumes the role of LAN Administrator and is responsible for providing the installation procedure and instructions to additional users.
The 'Map to a Directory' procedure may vary somewhat between Network systems, but the following approach is representative. Installation is as follows:
All LAN users that can 'Map' to the LV5 directory can access its LandView data and map files. Each new user should follow the above instructions, excluding Step 4.
- Create the LV5 directory, as above. Right-mouse on the directory to display the following Menu:
- The Network Drive . . . option opens a new dialogue:
- By default, the first available drive letter is shown, but users may select another available drive letter. It is important that the two identified options, above, are checked.
- From the CD/DVD, copy the two Directories-LV5 and MAPS-to the mapped LV5 directory. (This will place an LV5 directory inside of an LV5 directory.) Additionally, if other users are to access these data and map files, Install directory and the marplot.vnx file from the CD/DVD should also be copied to LV5.
Cautionary note: For versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, files 'copied and pasted' from a CD/DVD are copied as 'Read?only'. Windows XP automatically removes the read-only attribute when dragging the file or copying-pasting. XP-users are cautioned to reset the Read-only attribute. In normal usage, it is intended that LandView files be addressed as Read-only.
- From the CD/DVD or from the Install directory copied as above, install the LandView application files to the default directory, c:\lv5.
- Create a new directory in c:\lv5 called CDMAPS. Copy the marplot.vnx file to CDMAPS. As a 'Copy and Paste' file, this file may be Read-Only. Change this attribute using the Properties Menu available at right-mouse. The file can be opened for editing using NotePad or WordPad. The first line of type, "LV5", needs to be changed to the drive letter assigned to the mapped drive, e.g., "X:". It is important that this be written as upper case. On 'Save and Close', rename the file as marplot.txt.
- Start LandView from the Desktop icon. Note: The CD/DVD should be removed prior to starting LandView so that LandView sees only one data and map set.
Back to Table of Contents
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Last Revised: Thursday, 26-Jan-2012 15:38:32 EST