Installation of LandView® as a National Dataset
LandView, as released as a two-DVD set, contains approximately half of the National dataset on each DVD-LandView East and LandView West. A special release LandView DVD allows installation of the complete National dataset on a drive of sufficient capacity. Alternate Installation Procedures for LandView 5 provides additional instructions relating to the selection of an appropriate drive. The setup procedure is as follows:
- Select the drive that will contain the LandView map and data files.1 Copy the LV5 directory from the special release DVD to this drive. The LV5 directory contains an integrated LandView dataset for the entire United States.
Cautionary note: For versions of Windows prior to Windows XP, files 'copied and pasted' from a DVD are copied as 'Read-only'. Windows XP automatically removes the read-only attribute when dragging the file or copying-pasting. XP-users are cautioned to reset the Read-only attribute. In normal usage, it is intended that LandView files be addressed as Read-only.
- From the special release DVD, copy its MAPS directory to the selected drive. This directory contains integrated National map sets for each Federal Agency supporting LandView-Census, USEPA and USGS. It does not contain TIGER/Line topological map files. These must be obtained from the original two-DVD LandView release.
- Access the first of the DVDs from the two-DVD release of LandView-LandView East. Its MAPS directory contains a sub-directory-TIGER. Copy the directory in its entirety to the MAPS directory on the selected drive.
- Access the second DVD of the two-DVD set. This time open the TIGER directory. Sub-directories contain map files for the States in the western United States. Five State directories are common to both DVDs-the States of Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. 'Select All' using the Edit/Select All menu and, holding down the [Ctrl] key, deselect the above States. 'Copy and Paste' the remaining selected directories to the TIGER directory on the hard drive.
- Install the LandView application files to the default directory, c:\lv5. The Install application is available either from the special release or the original LandView release.
- Start and test the program. Note: The CD/DVD should be removed prior to starting LandView so that LandView sees only one data and map set.
If the selected drive is the hard drive that will contain the LandView application files, installation of LandView to its default directory, c:\lv5, should precede this step.
Back to Table of Contents
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
Last Revised: Thursday, 26-Jan-2012 15:38:32 EST