Skip Main Navigation Skip To Navigation Content

Electronic Retirement Package

Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS)

The following forms must be completed to apply for retirement under FERS.  HRD must receive a hard copy and original signature on the forms.  Scanned or faxed documents are not acceptable.

Headquarters employees can bring their completed documents to the HRD Call Center, located at 2J432.

Regional office employees can send the completed documents to:

US Postal Service Delivery:

U.S. Census Bureau
Attn: HRD Call Center
4600 Silver Hill Road
Washington DC 20233

Fed Ex/UPS Delivery:

U.S. Census Bureau
Attn: HRD Call Center
4600 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD 20746


Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB)

You are eligible to continue health benefits coverage, upon retirement, if you meet the following requirements:

  • you are entitled to retire on an immediate annuity; and
  • you have been continuously enrolled (or covered as a family member) in any FEHB plan(s) for the 5 years of service immediately before the date your annuity starts, or for the full period of service since your first opportunity to enroll (if less than 5 years).


Under limited circumstances, OPM will grant pre-approved waivers to employees who have been:

  • Covered under the FEHB Program continuously since the beginning date of the agency’s latest statutory Voluntary Separation Incentive Program (VSIP) authority, or OPM-approved VSIP or Voluntary Early Retirement Authority (VERA) authority, and
  • Retire during the statutory VSIP or OPM-approved VSIP/VERA period; and
  • Receive a VSIP; or
  • Take early optional retirement; or
  • Take discontinued service retirement based on an involuntary separation due to RIF, directed reassignment, reclassification to a lower grade, or abolishment of position.

Information for Retirees and Survivor Annuitants about the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program PDF [545 KB]


Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)

Your FEDVIP enrollment coverage continues as a retiree. It may take a few annuity cycles for you to see premiums deducted from your annuity. You are not required to contact BENEFEDS upon separating; however, you can speed up the process by contacting BENEFEDS directly to inform them of your separation. You may also reach them by calling 1-877-888-3337, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., ET.


Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI)

When you retire, you are eligible to continue your life insurance if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are entitled to retire on an immediate annuity under a retirement system for civilian employees;
  • You have been insured for the 5 years of service immediately before the date your annuity starts, or for the full period of service during which you were eligible to be insured if less than 5 years.

There are no waivers of the requirements to carry life insurance into retirement and there are no exceptions to the "no waiver" rule - it does not matter whether you retire on disability, accept a voluntary incentive payment, etc.  If you are not eligible to continue your coverage into retirement, you may convert to a private non-group policy.

Monthly Cost of Life Insurance Chart PDF [961 KB]
Information for Retirees and Their Families (FEGLI) PDF [337 KB]


Flexible Spending Account (FSA)

Your participation in the FSA program ends at separation. Any health care expense incurred after your participation ends is not eligible for reimbursement. You can continue to use the remaining balance of your dependent care FSA to pay for eligible dependent care expenses until the end of the Benefit Period or until your account balance is depleted, whichever comes first. For more information, visit the FSAFEDS website or call 1-877-372-3337, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., ET.


Long Term Care Insurance

Contact the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) at 1-800-582-3337, or use the form below to notify the Program of your retirement from Federal service.  You can provide them with the banking source information from which they can automatically deduct your future premiums or elect for direct payment until your retirement annuity is adjudicated with OPM.  At which time, your premiums can be deducted from your monthly annuity payments.

Long Term Care Insurance Billing Change Form PDF [308 KB]


Census Alumni Association

As a former Census Bureau employee, you are eligible to become a member of the Census Alumni Association.  Since 1991, the Census Alumni Association (CAA) has been providing an opportunity for former employees to maintain relationships with former co-workers as well as helping to promote public understanding of and cooperation with the Census Bureau’s mission. As a member of the CAA you will receive the Alumni newsletter, monthly issues of the Census CounterParts and invitations to alumni reunions, activities and special events.

To join, complete the Census Alumni Association form. PDF [27 KB]


More Information



Contact the HRD Call Center at 301-763-4748 or email  For TTY callers, please call through the Federal Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339. This service is free and confidential.


[PDF] or PDF denotes a file in Adobe’s Portable Document Format. To view the file, you will need the Adobe® Reader® This symbol Off Site indicates a link to a non-government web site. Our linking to these sites does not constitute an endorsement of any products, services or the information found on them. Once you link to another site you are subject to the policies of the new site.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau | Human Resources Division | (301) 763-4748 |  Last Revised: May 06, 2013