Full Size Original
National Processing Center
The Jeffersonville Census Operations Office opened as a temporary facility on July 1, 1958 to prepare and process the Censuses of Business, Manufactures and Mineral Industries and the 1960 Census of Population and Housing. Activities included packaging and shipping equipment and supplies, preparing maps, preliminary processing of report forms and the distribution of printed reports.
After the 1960 census, the Census Bureau assigned additional processing and clerical work to the facility, along with special assignments for the Department of Defense, the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. In 1962 the office was designated as a continuing service facility, with employment levels that would rise and fall as the workload warranted, and named the Data Processing Division.
In 1998, the Data Processing Division changed its name to the National Processing Center, to more accurately reflect its expanded processing duties.