Skip Main Navigation Skip To Navigation Content

Release Information

CB11-TPS.45

Contact:  Public Information Office
301-763-3030/763-3762 (fax)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:  THURSDAY, NOV. 17, 2011

The Newly Arrived Foreign-Born Population of the United States: 2010

This brief, based on the 2010 American Community Survey, examines differences in the characteristics of the newly arrived foreign-born based on whether they arrived before 2005, from 2005 to 2007, or 2008 and later. The brief notes trends in population size, world region/country of birth and geographic distribution in the United States.

Highlights:

  • Among the 40 million foreign-born residents in 2010, 82.6 percent reported a year of entry prior to 2005. The remaining 17.4 percent entered from 2005 to 2010.
  • The number of foreign-born residents in 2010 differed considerably from state to state, from a high of 10.2 million in California to fewer than 20,000 in North Dakota and Wyoming.
  • California, New York, Texas, Florida, New Jersey and Illinois each had more than 1 million foreign-born residents and accounted for 65 percent of all American residents born in another country.
  • California had the largest proportion of the nation's newly arrived (19 percent), followed by Texas (11 percent), New York (10 percent) and Florida (9 percent).
  • More than half of those who arrived prior to 2005 were born in Latin America and the Caribbean, compared with only 48 percent of those who arrived in 2005 or later.

Internet address: <http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acsbr10-16.pdf>. [PDF]

No news release associated with this report. Tip Sheet only.

-X-
[PDF] or PDF denotes a file in Adobe’s Portable Document Format. To view the file, you will need the Adobe® Reader® Off Site available free from Adobe. This symbol Off Site indicates a link to a non-government web site. Our linking to these sites does not constitute an endorsement of any products, services or the information found on them. Once you link to another site you are subject to the policies of the new site.
Source: U.S. Census Bureau | Public Information Office | PIO@census.gov | Last Revised: September 01, 2014