Skip to content

National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day

Release Number CB17-SFS.115
Component ID: #ti465934860

From the National Health Care for the Homeless Council: “On National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day (HPMD) – commemorated annually since 1990 on or about December 21, the first day of winter and longest night of the year – communities across the country come together to remember those who have died without stable housing, to reflect on the shocking inhumanity of homelessness, and to call for meaningful policy changes to ensure that no life is lived or lost in homelessness. Each HPMD event is unique to its community, but the commemorations often include reading of names, candles, prayers, personal remembrances, marches, and moments of silence.”

The 2015 Point-in-Time (PIT) survey [4.65 MB] from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development: “…identified 564,708 people as homeless in the United States, on a given night, in January 2015. Although 69 percent were recorded in shelters or residential programs, 31 percent were found in unsheltered locations. Two-thirds (64 percent) were individuals, the remaining third (36 percent) were families with children. Twenty-three percent of those homeless were children younger than 18 years of age; 6.5 percent of the over half million people were unaccompanied youth under 18 years of age.”

Key Stats:

People in emergency and transitional shelters were enumerated as part of the 2010 Census Service-Based Enumeration (SBE) operation. The SBE was conducted at service locations and targeted nonsheltered outdoor locations to provide an opportunity for people experiencing homelessness to be included in the census.

Component ID: #ti2053448067



Component ID: #ti1514786254


Component ID: #ti129164858


More Stats:

From the 2020 Census Operational Plan:

“Enumerate people living or staying in group quarters and provide an opportunity for people experiencing homelessness and receiving service at service-based locations, such as soup kitchens, to be counted in the census.”

Stats From Other Federal Agencies:

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) releases the Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress in two parts. Part 1 provides Point-in-Time estimates of homelessness, offering a snapshot of homelessness on a single night in late January of each year. [HUD to release the 2017 report first week of December]

Component ID: #ti355482394


Component ID: #ti1378083129


X
  Is this page helpful?
Thumbs Up Image Yes    Thumbs Down Image No
X
No, thanks
255 characters remaining
X
Thank you for your feedback.
Comments or suggestions?