Skip Main Navigation Skip To Navigation Content
FOREIGN TRADE STATISTICS: Your Key to Trade [Skip all navigation and go directly to page content]
[Go to the FTD MAIN page.]
[FTD Main Navigation] MAIN: About Foreign Trade | Data | A.E.S. | Regulations | Reference | Definitions | Schedule B | FAQs | Feedback | Search
[FTD Subject Navigation] AES: Getting Started | Document Library | Meetings and Presentations| Related Sites| Contact Us
[ADVERT: USATrade Online - Trade data online]

Getting Started - By Audience

Understand your role in getting started in the AES based on your company type.

Choose the category that best describes your role in AES:


[To top of page]
U.S. Principal Parties in Interest (USPPIs) have the option of filing Electronic Export Information (EEI) or delegating the SED filing to an authorized agent.

If you are a USPPI and you decide to file your own EEI via the AES, you must do one of the following:

If you are a USPPI and you decide to delegate the EEI filing to an authorized agent, you must:

  • Provide the authorized agent with a properly executed power of attorney or written authorization.

Authorized Agent:

[To top of page]
If you are an authorized agent, you may file EEI on behalf of a USPPI or Foreign Principal Party in Interest (FPPI) only under the following conditions:

Service Center:

[To top of page]
A service center may transmit EEI to the AES only under the following condition: Service centers may only transmit export information. That is, they may not prepare and file EEI.

Software Developer:

[To top of page]
A software developer may develop software that is used to transmit EEI to AES only under the following condition: Resources are available to assist developers:



FTD Web News

What is required for me to ship charity goods to Haiti?
From GLOBAL REACH: "In order to facilitate the movements of these goods, we offer the following guidance that applies to any goods not requiring a license, such as food, clothing, and medicines." (January 22, 2010)

Foreign Trade has GLOBAL REACH
Foreign Trade has just created and published its official blog, "Global Reach." Visit it to discuss the Foreign Trade Regulations, Export Filing (AES), Trade Data, and other trade related topics. Posts are current and relevant to you as the filer, exporter, data user, or curious blog reader. (January 5, 2010)

FTZ: Guidelines for Submtting Statistical Data (PDF) (1.8 MB)
Guidelines and best practices for fulfilling FTZ's statistical reporting requirements are now available.

- Training videos on topics such as the Foreign Trade Regulations, AESDirect, NAFTA, Taxes/Tariffs, Commodities, etc. now available!

2009 Constant Dollar Data
- The Census Bureau identified a processing error that caused incorrect deflators to be applied to the revised data for 2009. The data have been corrected.

- U.S. Census Bureau will modify the structure of several data products to accommodate changing technology and user demand.

- The export environment has dramatically changed. Come and understand what it takes to remain compliant, aware and out of trouble.

2003 AES Option 4 Moratorium
Option 4 Filing Review Process Suspended

AES Compliance Best Practices:
Best Practices for maintaining AES Compliance are now available.

Related Party Database Application:
Time series RELATED PARTY data for specific commodities and countries.

- Online Order Form
- FTD DropBox
- Merchandise Trade Downloads

NEW Schedule B Search Engine:
It's new. It's flexible. It has more options.

- Get the basics!
- Learn more!

Source: FTDWebMaster, Foreign Trade Division, U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, D.C. 20233
Created: 12 Jul 2002
Last modified: 12 July 2011 at 04:09:21 PM