U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

end of header


You are here: Census.govHistoryFAQsGenealogy FAQs › How do I request census records that are not available from the National Archives?
Skip top of page navigation

How do I request census records that are not available from the National Archives?

Individuals may request their own records (before they are publicly available) via the U.S. Census Bureau's Age Search service. This service provides individual information from censuses that are still protected by the 72-year rule, but only to the named person, his or her heirs, or legal representatives. There is a Congressionally-mandated fee for this service. Individuals interested in requesting a search of their personal census records must complete a form BC-600 [PDF 142k], Application for Search of Census Records (form BC-600sp [PDF 156k], Solicitud Para Busqueda De Registros Censales).

President Obama completing the census questionnaire
Even President Obama's 2010 census questionnaire is confidential for 72 years. It will be
released to the public April 1, 2082.

[an error occurred while processing this directive] This symbol Off Site indicates a link to a non-government web site. Our linking to these sites does not constitute an endorsement of any products, services or the information found on them. Once you link to another site you are subject to the policies of the new site.
Is this page helpful?
Thumbs Up Image Yes Thumbs Down Image No
255 characters maximum 255 characters maximum reached
Thank you for your feedback.
Comments or suggestions?
Source: U.S. Census Bureau | Census History Staff | Last Revised: December 29, 2023