U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government


end of header

Economic Indicators

Selected Services Revenue

June 11th, 2024

1st Quarter 2024

+2.3

% change

4th Quarter 2023(r)

+2.2

% change

Released: June 11th, 2024 Next Release: August 21st, 2024

U.S. selected services total revenue for the first quarter of 2024, adjusted for seasonal variation but not for price changes, was $5,534.6 billion, an increase of 2.3 percent (+/- 0.2 percent) from the fourth quarter of 2023 and up 6.7 percent (+/- 0.6 percent) from the first quarter of 2023.

Press Release

1st Quarter 2024

-14.2

$ billion

4th Quarter 2023(r)

+4.1

$ billion

Released: June 10th, 2024 Next Release: September 10th, 2024

Seasonally adjusted after-tax profits for retail corporations with assets of $50 million and over were $33.8 billion for the first quarter 2024 (the 3 months ending April 30, 2024), down $14.2 (+/- 1.1) billion from fourth quarter 2023 (the 3 months ending January 31, 2024).

Press Release

1st Quarter 2024

+0.4*

$ billion

4th Quarter 2023(r)

-25.5

$ billion

Released: June 10th, 2024 Next Release: September 10th, 2024

Manufacturing corporations' seasonally adjusted after-tax profits were $200.0 billion for the first quarter of 2024, not statistically different from the fourth quarter of 2023.

Press Release

April 2024

+0.1*

% change in inventories

March 2024(r)

-0.5

% change in inventories

Released: June 7th, 2024 Next Release: July 10th, 2024

April 2024 sales of merchant wholesalers were $663.8 billion, up 0.1 percent (+/- 0.4 percent)* from last month. End-of-month inventories were $895.8 billion, up 0.1 percent (+/- 0.4 percent)* from last month.

Press Release

April 2024

74.6°

$ billion

March 2024(r)

68.6°

$ billion

Released: June 6th, 2024 Next Release: July 3rd, 2024

The nation's international trade deficit in goods and services increased to $74.6 billion in April from $68.6 billion in March (revised), as imports increased more than exports.

Press Release

New Residential Sales

May 23rd, 2024

April 2024

-4.7*

% change

March 2024(r)

+5.4*

% change

Released: May 23rd, 2024 Next Release: June 26th, 2024

Sales of new single-family houses in April 2024 were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 634,000. This is 4.7 percent (+/- 12.0%)* below the revised March 2024 estimate of 665,000.

Press Release

April 2024

+5.7*

% change

March 2024(r)

-16.8

% change

Released: May 16th, 2024 Next Release: June 20th, 2024

Privately-owned housing starts in April 2024 were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1,360,000. This is 5.7 percent (+/- 11.0%)* above the revised March 2024 estimate of 1,287,000.

Press Release

Business Inventories

May 15th, 2024

March 2024

-0.1*

% change in inventories

February 2024(r)

0.3

% change in inventories

Released: May 15th, 2024 Next Release: June 18th, 2024

U.S. total business end-of-month inventories for March 2024 were $2,539.0 billion, down 0.1 percent (+/- 0.1 percent)* from last month. U.S. total business sales were $1,858.0 billion, down 0.1 percent (+/- 0.2 percent)* from last month.

Press Release

Homeownership Rate

April 30th, 2024

1st Quarter 2024

+65.6*

percent

1st Quarter 2023

+66.0

percent

Released: April 30th, 2024 Next Release: July 30th, 2024

The homeownership rate of 65.6 percent was not statistically different from the rate in the first quarter 2023 (66.0 percent). The homeownership rates, compared to the first quarter 2023, were lower in the Midwest, and not statistically different in the Northeast, South, and West.

Press Release

Rental Vacancy Rate

April 30th, 2024

1st Quarter 2024

+6.6*

percent

1st Quarter 2023

+6.4

percent

Released: April 30th, 2024 Next Release: July 30th, 2024

The rental vacancy rate of 6.6 percent was not statistically different than the rate in the first quarter 2023 (6.4 percent). Compared to first quarter 2023, the rental vacancy rate was higher in the West and not statistically different in the Northeast, Midwest, and South.

Press Release